Project: Web magazine for the 2014 Emerge course at the University of Guelph-Humber. Emerge is a print magazine, web magazine, one-day conference, and student media awards program produced from the ground up by the graduating class of Media Studies students at the University of Guelph-Humber, combining the talents of students from the Journalism, Digital Communications, Public Relations, and Photography majors.
Role: Digital Manager
– Led a team of five students that designed, developed, launched, and published the Emerge Magazine 2014 website.
– Built the web magazine on WordPress using a highly customized theme.
– Worked closely with the Editors-in-Chief to publish longform editorials and shortform stories on a regular basis from January to May 2014, highlighting the stories that best represented our themes of technology, culture, and revolution.
– Used CSS and HTML5 to design custom layouts for longform pieces such as “Cosplay Your Way: The Faces of Toronto Comicon“.
– Published sponsored feature stories like “10 Ways to Use Social Media to Get the Job of Your Dreams” and “Wine Cave Wonder & Muscadet Magic” at a time when branded content was a new concept even in major newsrooms.
– Designed and built a custom, immersive reading experience for our cover story “Bringing 3D Printing to the Kitchen“, featuring an animated cover photo, bold pull quotes, and gorgeous parallax photography. The piece was a collaboration between digital and print, developed by a member of my team and designed by me.